Calling Local Artists!
The Art District Gallery is very pleased to offer artists in the Region of Waterloo and surrounding areas an opportunity to spot light their works of art in a group show setting in our beautiful open gallery space. As a co-operative gallery, the Art District Gallery is dedicated to the support and encouragement of our participating artists by providing a space to show and sell their work.
As a Guest Artist at the Art District Gallery, you will be given the opportunity to exhibit your artwork for the entirety of our exhibition period, which is typically a six week show period. Your artwork will be included on our website for the duration of our show: www.artdistrictgallery.org, as well as the Art District Gallery Facebook page. You will receive the benefit of our email invite list for a fantastic opening. You will also be given access to ADG’s online advertising flyer that will mention you as our guest artist, which you may use through your own social media avenues or print and mail as you see fit.
Artists wishing to apply for a Guest Artist Exhibition should prepare an application package that consists of:
- A letter of introduction explaining why you wish to be a guest artist with an artist statement with
one or two paragraphs about the body of work you will be showing.
- 5 high-resolution images of your artworks sent via a link to an online portfolio, blog or website;
or via email.
- A biography (with one or two paragraphs that have to do with your experience or training as an artist).
- Your contact information including snail mail address, email address and phone number
- Your website or blog address
Notification of Selection
Your submission will be reviewed by our Curation Committee. If you are chosen as a Guest Artist, you will be contacted by our Guest Artist Liaison to determine when your show will be hung. Please note, only artists from the Region of Waterloo and surrounding areas will be considered.
Guest Artist Responsibilities
- Two to three weeks before the show you will be asked to submit your final collection of artworks. This submission must be consistent with the images you used to apply for the Guest Artist position. Please include your tag information (your name, title of artwork, dimensions, media, price) within the filename of your jpegs. Example: AmySmith_DownByTheTree_18x24_acrylic_$450.jpeg
- We ask that you send a jpeg of yourself which we can use in promotion material.
- 2-D work will be given the same consideration as ADG members at the Curation Committee’s discretion.
- 3-D work will be given appropriate display space at the Curation Committee’s discretion.
- All selected artworks must be delivered to the gallery during gallery hours 2 or 3 days in advance
of the exhibition.
- All selected artworks must be presented professionally and ready to hang or display.
- There is a choice of fee structure for Guest Artists. $100 fee with a 20% commission or a $70 fee
with a 40% commission. Your choice is due upon initial approval of you as guest artist. Please note
that all prepaid fees are non-refundable. If any sales are made of your work during the show the
Art District Gallery will charge you the chosen commission fee plus the POS and/or credit card fees.
- We ask that you contact and invite your own patron/customer guest list.
- You remain responsible for submitting the applicable taxes for sales of your art. Please keep this in mind while pricing your art.
- All unsold works must be retrieved from the gallery within a week after the exhibition comes down.
- We welcome you to contribute one or more trays or plates of refreshments for the refreshments table for the exhibition opening.
- We offer an opportunity for you to be introduced and speak about your work during the exhibition opening.
- Guest Artists are encouraged to provide a stack of business cards for the duration of the exhibition.
- Guest Artists are welcome to donate small works for the Art District Gallery reception door prize, which could create a buzz of interest and excitement about your work.
Guest Artist Code of Conduct
As a Guest Artist I agree to:
- Promote the Art District Gallery and my show to the best of my ability.
- Not make any socially or politically offensive displays at the Art District Gallery at any time during my show.
- Be respectful of the Art District Gallery and it’s members and the other artwork on display during my show.